“God replied to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you.’” —Exodus 3:14 HCSB
When asked who He was, God didn’t need any other explanation besides “I AM.” He was, is, and always will be. He doesn’t need anything else to give meaning to His existence or identity. In today’s world He might have said #IAM.
You and I are different from God. He knows this. That’s why he said to Moses, “The God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you (Exod. 3:14 NLT). The Israelites’ experience of God was inseparable from their identification with their clan.
There is power in a group! One of our basic needs as people—after food, water, and shelter—is a sense of belonging. If our need to belong isn’t met through healthy relationships, we will find unhealthy people and places. The latter is often the reality for many who live in the South Bronx.
Graffiti 2 isn’t in the Bronx by chance. Just as Moses was sent by God, so were we. For twelve years, Graffiti 2 has been providing a place for people to belong. Children say #iamG2Kids. Teens say #iamG2GSALT. Young adults say #iamG2Interns. Adults say #iamG2Works. All generations say #iamG2Church.
This is not our end goal. Something greater is our aim. We share about Jesus who said, “Before Abraham was even born, I AM!” (John 8:58 NLT). John the Baptist said of Jesus, “He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less” (John 3:30 NLT).
Jesus must increase and we must decrease. However, people can’t give themselves to Jesus if they don’t know who God made them to be, and it’s hard to figure out who you are without a place to belong.
As Graffiti 2 provides that place, we pray all who find themselves in our fellowship will conclude:
What will your write in the blank? #iamG2_____________
Graffiti 2 can’t provide a place to belong without the help of many people. Will you consider being a G2Ambassador and mobilize your group or church for our Week of Giving (May 1–7)?
Here are some things you can do:
1. Participate in Graffiti 2’s Spirit Week and pray for our ministry. Download here.
2. Lead your group in the Week of Giving Bible study. Download it here.
3. Get your people to participate in the Buy a Box Fundraiser. Download it here.
4. Collect an offering for Graffiti 2 at the end of Spirit Week on May 7.
Graffiti 2 can’t provide a place to belong without the help of many people. Will you consider being a G2Giver and making a special donation towards our Week of Giving (May 1–7)?
Here are ways you can give:
1. Send a donation to Graffiti 2–Week of Giving, PO Box 541559, Bronx, NY 10454.
2. Donate online by clicking here.
3. Text 2 Give—It’s easy. Text “give” to 347-282-2612. A text response will send you a link to create your profile and make a donation. Save G2’s Text 2 Give number in your contacts. Future donations can be made simply by texting an amount to this number.
In the coming weeks Graffiti 2 will share more ways you can help. Check out our website, subscribe to our e-newsletter, and follow us on social media.