Sundays @ 6:30 PM and Thursdays @ 7:30 PM
Meeting ID: 642-735-3186
Graffiti 2 is continuing to serve our neighborhood in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis. Some of our activities have moved virtual and some of our activities have new protocols. Every week our Graffiti 2 staff is evaluating safe and effective ways to serve our community. As always, all the work of Graffiti 2 is sustained by Graffiti 2 Givers. Check back here for weekly updates and subscribe to our eNewsletter. As we continue to serve, we will 1) Do the Work 2) Tell the Story 3) Tell the Need 4) Invite Others to Participate and 5) Trust God!
Text “graffiti2” to 31996 from a mobile device to receive the latest announcements and updates via text.
COVID-19 Ministry by the Numbers
|TNT Meals To Go||1936|
|Food Kits (each kit provides 30 meals)||384|
|Outreach Phone Calls||750|
|Virtual Tutoring Sessions||324|
Virtual Attendance June 28—July 4
|Sunday Worship Service||23|
|Thursday Night Prayer Service||17|
|Small Group Bible Studies||19|
|Virtual Coffee Shop||4|
May 17 Update from Graffiti 2
In honor of Law Enforcement Appreciation Week, on Thursday, May 14, Graffiti 2 partnered with Simplicity Mission, Bibles for Law Enforcement Officers (BLEO), and Send Relief to honor the officers at NYPD’s 40th Precinct. Check out this brief video to see what took place.
April 26 Update from Graffiti 2
A Letter from Graffiti 2’s Executive Director:
As I’m sure you are aware from reporting in the media, New York City has certainly felt the impact of COVID-19. All of our Graffiti 2 team are currently well, however, we are beginning to see the impact closer and closer.
In the midst of this crisis, Graffiti 2 is continuing to serve our neighborhood. Some of our activities have moved virtual and some of our activities have new protocols. Here are some of those changes:
Afterschool program continues to meet virtually. Students are receiving one-on-one tutoring and small group Bible study via Zoom.
Graffiti 2 Baptist Church continues to meet on Sundays at 6:30 PM and Thursday at 7:30 PM via Zoom. This has presented new opportunities. On Thursdays, missionaries from around the world have joined us during our prayer service. On Sundays, we have seen an increase in the number of people attending church. We would love for you to join us! The link for Zoom can be found above.
Our TNT community meal has continued but with a slight change. It was “Thursday Nights Together,” now, it is “Tuesday and Thursday Nights To-Go.” Individuals in the neighborhood receive a grab-and-go meal twice a week. Each week we provide over 200 meals to individuals in our community.
Besides continuing existing ministry, Graffiti 2 has found new ways to make a meaningful difference during this time. Here are some examples:
Graffiti 2 recruited a phone call outreach team. This group of individuals makes phone calls to our contact list checking on their well-being and offering prayer.
Graffiti 2 is providing boxes of fresh groceries to fifteen households each week.
Graffiti 2 is planning to provide benevolence grants to individuals & families suffering loss of income. These grants will assist with rent, bills, and other necessities
Graffiti 2 is planning to provide honorarium-based work for unemployed individuals seeking employment once the “all-clear” is given to return to work.
None of this would be possible without our partners! Graffiti 2 is blessed by individuals, churches, and organizations that support the work here in the South Bronx. Did you know that recently, one of our partners, Woman’s Missionary Union (WMU) featured our work in two of their periodicals?
To all of Graffiti 2’s partners, near and far, thank you!
Through all of this, we know God is at work in our neighborhood. Sometimes the blessings are evident and sometimes they are a little harder to find. Graffiti 2 is committed to bringing the gospel to the many lives that walk these streets in quiet desperation. Sometimes our calling seems impossible, but we rejoice when our calling seems impossible, because with God all things are possible.
April 19 Update from Graffiti 2
G2 Afterschool Goes Virtual
Since New York State has been on PAUSE, New York City students have continued to participate in remote learning. This has come with challenges as many students and parents have struggled adjusting to the new learning environment. G2’s Student Director, JoAnn Lira has speared-headed Graffiti 2’s efforts to continue to meet the needs of our students. With the help of Michael Hernandez (Graffiti 2’s Program Assistant) and other volunteers, students are receiving one-on-one tutoring and small group Bible study.
Lizibeth is a bright, happy, and energetic third grade student. Like many other students, she misses being in her classroom. Suhali, Lizibeth’s mom, recently shared with Graffiti 2’s Student Director, JoAnn, how Graffiti 2 has helped her and her family throughout this out-of-the-ordinary time of distance learning. Suhali joked that her husband asked her if she was also studying as she sat with Lizibeth during her tutoring sessions. She stated that sitting in on the tutoring sessions and helping her daughter keeps her mind busy and off of all the news regarding the Coronavirus.
When told that her story would be shared with the Graffiti 2 family of supporters, she shared a prayer request for all the families grieving the loss of a loved one and for protection over our families. Click the video above to meet Lizibeth, her mom, and Michael who has been her tutor.
April 5 Update from Graffiti 2
“It Felt Good!”
Terik Cook is better known as “Mucka.” In 2016, Mucka gave his life to Christ and was baptized at Graffiti 2 Baptist Church. Since then, he has been growing in his relationship with the Lord and his participation with Graffiti 2. After New York State went on PAUSE, Mucka, like many others, was feeling isolated in his home. He described it as feeling “stuck, boring, like I’m in prison.”
He decided to do something about that feeling of isolation. Mucka began helping serve at TNT “To-Go” on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mucka describes his experience as “the highlight of my week.”
Last Sunday, Mucka joined our virtual church service on Zoom. During the service Graffiti 2 had worship music, prayer, preaching, and even break-out rooms for small groups. Even his mom joined the service on Zoom. “That was my mom’s first time coming to a church service at Graffiti 2,” said Mucka.
After the service, Pastor Andrew messaged Mucka saying, “Glad you got on there . . .even your mom was there!”
Mucka responded, “I know it felt good!”
Graffiti 2 is blessed with amazing partners who have helped us meet needs in our neighborhood. On March 17, Send Relief (an arm of the North American Mission Board) sent supplies to NYC from their Ashland, KY warehouse.
With those supplies, Graffiti 2 has . . .
. . .supplied hand sanitizer and masks to a privately owned local pharmacy. This pharmacy provides much needed medications to our neighborhood (including our staff). These supplies hard-to-get resources are keeping them safe.
. . .supplied masks to a local shelter who serves homeless individuals recovering from addictions.
. . .supplied Simplicity Mission with hand sanitizers to put in their grocery boxes. These grocery boxes are being provided to vulnerable individuals in need. Simplicity Mission has been providing food for our TNT “To-Go.”
. . .provided a health-care worker with masks for their personal use.
. . .distributed non-perishable food kits for the sick and vulnerable.
March 29 Update from Graffiti 2
Graffiti 2’s theme is “Distance but don’t disengage!” With that in mind, it has been a full week of planning and implementing safe and effective ministry for our neighborhood. Here are some of the ways Graffiti 2 has continued to serve:
Afterschool program has gone virtual! Children and teens have met for group Bible study and one-on-one tutoring via Zoom.
Graffiti 2 has trained a phone call outreach team. The team (pictured below) will be reaching out to Graffiti 2’s contact list to check on physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. For those who need help due to food insecurity, Graffiti 2 can arrange food delivery to individual’s apartments.
TNT which used to stand for “Thursday Nights Together,” now stands for “Tuesday and Thursday Nights To-Go.” The neighborhood is invited to receive a meal to take with them while Graffiti 2 models social distancing practices.
Graffiti 2 Baptist Church is continuing to meet virtually to worship, pray, and study God’s Word. Check out the video below to see our first Sunday together. Click on the link at the top of the page to join us on Sundays at 6:30 PM or Thursdays at 7:30 PM.
March 22 Update from Graffiti 2:
Text “graffiti2” to 31996 from a mobile device to receive the latest announcements and updates via text.
Join Graffiti 2 virtually for prayer meeting Thursday night at 7:30 PM and worship service Sunday at 6:30 PM. It’s simple, click this link (https://zoom.us/j/6427353186) or dial this number (646-558-8656, once prompted enter meeting ID 642 735 3186).
Our community dinner, aka TNT “To Go,” will take place every Tuesday and Thursday at 5 PM. Come pick up a meal at 5 PM
If you have any special needs for basic necessities during this time, please contact Josh at 917-880-9987.
March 15 Update from Graffiti 2:
On March 14, Graffiti 2’s Board of Directors met for the organization’s mid-year meeting. During this meeting, the topic of COVID-19 was discussed and as a result the following guidance has been provided for Graffiti 2 Community Ministries as we serve our Mott Haven neighborhood.
Note: The response below is for activities and programs of Graffiti 2 Community Ministries. For the latest information on the services and activities of Graffiti 2 Baptist Church, visit the church’s Facebook page by clicking here.
Graffiti 2 Community Ministries’ Board of Directors recognizes the mission of the organization to revitalize, revive, and revolutionize the Mott Haven neighborhood of the South Bronx. This mission to meet the holistic needs of children, teens, adults, and families is a call to serve our neighbors. During this challenging time in our country, the challenges of our neighborhood certainly do not fade, and perhaps are even magnified. With that in mind, while also heeding the guidance of federal, state, and city government and local and national partners, the Graffiti 2 Community Ministries’ Board of Directors offers the following guidance:
TO ALL INDIVIDUALS
- Stay tuned to city (NYC.gov), state (NY.gov), and federal (CDC.gov) governmental authorities and heed all recommendations given. No guidance in this document should supersede the most recent guidance given by these authorities.
- In making determinations for participation in any activity, please take not only your personal health into consideration, but the personal health of others as well.
- Graffiti 2’s point of contact for all matters related to our organization’s response to COVID-19 is the executive director, Andrew Mann. He can be reached at 347-297-8059.
TO OUR EMPLOYEES
- Employees who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are recommended to stay home and not come to work until they are free of fever (100.4° F [37.8° C] or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants). Employees should notify their supervisor and stay home if they are sick.
- Employees who are well but who have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 should notify their supervisor and refer to CDC guidance to learn about the risk of their potential exposure.
- Routinely clean all frequently touched surfaces in the workplace, such as workstations, countertops, and doorknobs. Use the cleaning agents that are usually used in these areas and follow the directions on the label.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue away.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
TO OUR PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS
- Graffiti 2 Community Ministries’ programs follow the calendar of the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE). If NYCDOE schools are in session, Graffiti 2 Community Ministries will operate programs.
- If a student is sent home from school or is not in attendance at school due to illness or the cancellation of their school due to illness, he or she should not attend programs at Graffiti 2 Community Ministries.
- Child or adult learners who show any of the following symptoms should not attend Graffiti 2 programs and should follow precautionary quarantine instructions from New York state health officials:
- Trouble breathing
- If a child or adult learner has had contact with any person with known COVID-19 or person under investigation for COVID-19, he or she should not attend Graffiti 2 programs and should follow precautionary quarantine instructions from New York state health officials.
- In the event NYCDOE chooses to close schools, Graffiti 2 Community Ministries will determine the most effective and safe means to continue to serve the Mott Haven community.
TO OUR MISSION PARTNERS
- Graffiti 2 Community Ministries’ national partner, Send Relief has suspended all mission trips through April (visit sendrelief.org to find more information).
- Any mission partners who have planned to serve with us in May, June, or July are encouraged to not alter plans at this time. If a mission partner determines it is in their best interest to cancel travel plans, the Graffiti 2 Community Ministries’ Board of Directors respectfully requests the following:
- Notify Graffiti 2 Community Ministries as soon as possible.
- Consider allocating funds that would have been used for travel to Graffiti 2 Community Ministries so local personnel can minister in your absence.
TO OUR DONORS
- During this time of financial volatility, we appreciate your steady support. We recognize that financial constraints may limit some individuals’ ability to give while Graffiti 2’s opportunities to serve in the midst of crisis may increase. For those that are able to make a special donation, continue their giving, or increase their support, we are grateful.
Given the scope and scale of the spread of COVID-19, we will continue to monitor the guidance provided by public health officials and provide updates to our practices as necessary.